Stricker
PGP Banner

Chef's Corner

A forum for chefs and cooks in the foodservice industry

2,475 Discussions and 17,683 Posts
Forum Member Joined
Jun / 2016

Alfredo Sauce

I would like to add Alfredo Sauce to my menu. I have tried some of the prepackaged sauces and they are ok, but nothing great. I have made Alfredo sauce many times at home, but never at work.

What is the best method? Made to order? Or do you make it in the morning and keep it cold until an order comes in?

Forum MemberJoined
Jun / 2016
Forum Member

What do you mean "add Alfreado Sauce to my menu"? It's a sauce, how/with what are you serving it? The best way of course is to make it to order.

Forum MemberJoined
Jun / 2016
Forum Member

Not sure what is unclear. Currently, I do not have Alfredo sauce on my menu. I would like to add it. I have a variety of homemade sauces and pastas, but not alfredo sauce. I prefer to make all my sauces ahead of time in the morning. I don't have a lot of experience when it comes to cream sauces. Wondering if you make a few quarts in the morning/afternoon what is the proper way to keep the sauce.

Forum MemberJoined
Jun / 2016
Forum Member

P, how many folks do you cook for? I run around 100 or so on average, and serve 10 or so Alfredo plates when I run it. (it's only a special here) I make it for the order- all you need to do is have your pasta cooked. I put about 1/2 cup of cream, 1/2 cup of chicken stock in a saute pan. to this i add about 4 tbsp. butter. when the butter melts i drop 6 oz precooked pasta (but only lightly rinse- you ned as much starch as you can get) and let that come to a boil. the sauce gets a little foamy as the starch starts the thinckening. when i t is boiling, i turn off the heat and stir in 2 beaten egg yolks- this thickens the sauce. then you just add parmesan (about 4oz) and presto! (i top it w/ shrimp and crabmeat most of the time, but we are a seafood joint)

Forum MemberJoined
Jun / 2016
Forum Member

P********: The true chefs will tell you we're wrong but it works. We added pasta after being open several years as an optional side or ala carte plate. Add ons to the pasta, shrimp, chicken, vegs, etc. We make our white wine & cheese sauce (alfredo) about a gallon or more at a time using 1/2 & 1/2, milk, ( have used heavy cream), a cooked roux (about the color of the good looking young lady that was in last night's hair), two white cheeses, wine, white pepper, top with parmesan w/parsley, and anything else you like. We go through anywhere from none to a couple of batchs a day. Therefore, we prepare and hold refrigerated. It will reheat, sometimes needing to thin with either wine (my favorite) or milk - 1/2 & 1/2, chicken base, etc. Our reason for preparing and holding is ticket hang time and the number of people in the kitchen. Works for us, others will argue.