Stricker
PGP Banner

Chef's Corner

A forum for chefs and cooks in the foodservice industry

2,475 Discussions and 17,683 Posts
Forum Member Joined
Jun / 2016

Best Fryer Oil

Hi - I'm currently using deodorized lard for my deep-fat fryers but I fear the time has come to start rethinking the artery-clogging impact that may be having on my customers - having said that, what is the best fryer oil in terms of taste, longevity, price, etc. Peanut oil would be a no-no in today's socieity with so many having nut allergies. There is also a product that extends the life of fryer oil but I forget the name - does it really work or is it just a marketing ploy? Thanks for your thoughts.

GardenDarlene

Forum MemberJoined
Jun / 2016
Forum Member

Hi Darlene, Put the other twist on it and realize you probably aren't using trans-fats (check the label for hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated). I'd much prefer real lard any day! As much as fat has taken a hard rap the past couple of decades, the percentage of overweight and obese US citizens has increased greatly. If you want to look at this from a health standpoint, studies are now conflicting on whether or not saturated fat is bad for you but all do agree that trans-fats are bad. If you're looking at wanting to offer 'healthier' options, be sure to have some tasty veggies and salads. Consider offering these as optional sides instead of fries. Serve water to all customers --so many restaurants don't anymore-- and realize the rest is up to the customer. ~ Linda

Forum MemberJoined
Jun / 2016
Forum Member

I like a blend of corn and canola. I never cook over 375 degrees. I strain it and change it often. I deep-fry as few things as possible.

Forum MemberJoined
Jun / 2016
Forum Member

Peanut oil is the best. Just ask Chic-fil-A. The only problem is that some people are allergic to peanuts. They don't seem to lose business because of it. Everything seems to taste better in peanut oil. I sometimes use Canola Oil but the quality is sometimes questionable. The last two times I received oil that was hardening. Maybe something was added but not listed.

Forum MemberJoined
Jun / 2016
Forum Member

hi Darlene: I've been using Sysco's Fry-On since I opened my restaurant 2 years ago. I really like this product (corn and canola combination). We initially did a taste comparison test with several fryer products (fries and the like) with different oils and the fry-on fried products were chosen every time. I find that there is no flavour transfers and the it has a great life. I mean, I'll think that the oil should be changed (based on length of time of use) but when I do the "dropper test" (sysco provides) it usually is not ready for a change. YMMV cheers Andrea