PGP Banner

Chef's Corner

A forum for chefs and cooks in the foodservice industry

2,475 Discussions and 17,683 Posts
aunttia Joined
Dec / 2006

knives

Good Evening!
My son just graduated from culinary school and I would like to give him a quality set of knives. I need advice from the experts. What brand is the best, what specific knives should I investigate, etc?

jazzguyJoined
Feb / 2006
jazzguy

You're going to get a lot of opinions on this one. I think buying a set of knives is a lot like buying golf clubs, or clothes. A lot of what I like in a knife (or golf clubs) is how they feel. The only one who can make that determination is your son. Different people have different hands and like different balance points and grips. If it were me, I'd give him a gift certificate for some knives, and let him choose his own. You can expect to pay 100-130 or so per large knife, and 30-80 for smaller blades if you buy a premium blade. A lot of manufacturers sell some very nice knives for much less. Another thing to consider is buying him a very nice set of sharpening stones. A nice set of stones will last many, many years. good luck. bob aka jazzguy

kaffeenjunkieJoined
Feb / 2002
kaffeenjunkie

Congratulations to the new cook in the house. I dug up this article for your perusal from the food service archives. http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/16128415.htm?CFID=2128341&CFTOKEN=7E8F8A94-C6B3-3C97-26D14C1AB44C4685 Personally, I am attached to my Forshners with rosewood handles. Good set of working mans blades are that reasonably priced. I have had my set for over 20 yrs. They have now become the "house" knives and are really taking a beating. I am sure some of the others will chime in.

aunttiaJoined
Dec / 2006
aunttia

Thanks kaffeenjunkie and jazzguy. We are very proud of our son and really want to encourage him in his new career. I appreciate the advice and the article. A gift certificate might be the way to go. He has the set of knives he received in his tool kit, and perhaps they will do for a while if I purchase a set of sharpening stones. Any suggestions about those and where I can purchase them? We live in rural New Mexico so shopping is a bit tricky!!! Again, thanks for your time.

jazzguyJoined
Feb / 2006
jazzguy

Give this sharpening stone system a look. My chef has one, and I liked it so much I bought my own. Bob aka jazzguy http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Norton-3-Stone-IM313-System-P48C18.aspx