Stricker
PGP Banner

Chef's Corner

A forum for chefs and cooks in the foodservice industry

2,475 Discussions and 17,683 Posts
Forum Member Joined
Jun / 2016

green eggs

I know there can be many reasons cooked eggs turn green . . .sitting too long, using foil to hold heat in . .etc. I just want to make sure I've touched on every possibility for the reason behind "green eggs". I welcome other ideas/reasons for "green eggs".

Forum MemberJoined
Jun / 2016
Forum Member

Hope this helps a a bit. Dave Smania Foodservice.com A greenish ring around hard-cooked eggs in the result of sulphur and iron compounds in the egg reacting at the surface of the yolk. Although the color may be a bit unappealing, the eggs are still wholesome and nutritious and their flavor is unaffected. Greenish yolks can best be avoided by using the proper cooking time and temperature and by rapidly cooling the cooked eggs. Usually, eggs have been cooked at too high a temperature, for too long a time, or they have not been rapidly cooled following cooking. From http://www.extension.uiuc.edu/~robsond/solutions/nutrition/docs/janan093.html Cooperative Extension Service University of Illinois

Forum MemberJoined
Jun / 2016
Forum Member

To avoid Scrambled Eggs turning green on the buffet line: Cook in small batches only enough that will be used in 30 to 45 minutes. Cook the eggs slowly over low heat. Hold them at the lowest heat possible. Keep them in a chafer at the lowest heat possible. Add a small amout of white vinegar (not enough to alter the taste) will also help. ------------------ Timothy Banning Editor Society of Mad Chefs

Forum MemberJoined
Jun / 2016
Forum Member

Hi Stephanie: The way I do it to avoid the eggs turning green: 1) I add a touch of heavy cream before I finish cooking the eggs. 2)Use a plastic 200 pan to keep the eggs on a buffet. 3)Cook small batches and exchange them often 4)Avoid cooking the eggs in aluminum skillets, try to use stainless steel or teflon 5) Avoid overcooking the eggs Hope I could be of any help to you Chef Rene

Forum MemberJoined
Jun / 2016
Forum Member

The other responses to the egg question are right on in my opinion. Most people make the mistake of overcooking hard boiled eggs and not cooling them as described so I would really pay attention to that detail. When we serve large quantities of scrambled eggs we add a little "Culinary Cream" from Minor's. It is a pre-reduced heavy cream and helps keep the eggs soft and maintains the color. Again though, overcooking will cause most of the problems. ------------------ Doug Allen CEC Birmingham, AL