Stricker
PGP Banner

Restaurant BizTalk

A forum for restaurant owners, managers, and other industry professionals.

5,935 Discussions and 46,496 Posts
CutMeMick Joined
Jun / 2006

HOW TO Clean a Griddle?

Hey all,
I'm having problems cleaning my griddle (i cook burgers on) and have heard so many ways to "clean" the griddle that i have no idea which is best.

I try to keep it spotless but it never works... i've used the "brick" and the Scotchbrite mesh grill with scuff pad... for both i've tried hot water then scrub... and tried Veg. Oil and scrubed... neither worked very well at all.

I just heard of a new one, put ice on the HOT griddle and it will "boil it off". Won't this possibley crack the Griddle?

Thanks all for the help!
J

IrondellJoined
Feb / 2006
Irondell

Ice and water, then scrub while it is still semi hot. How thick is your flat top? If the brick and veggie oil isn't working, maybe you have the heat on too high. Also keeping it scraped during the day so you do not let the grease cook on is an important step to maintaining it.

panduhJoined
Jun / 2006
panduh

How are you scrubbing it? I always press down with both hands and scrub with very small focused rubbing movements. Kind of similar to the way I sharpen my knives actually

YVETTEJoined
Mar / 2003
YVETTE

A Japanese place I have been to uses water with a stainless steel scrubbie for a very fast clean up. They hold the scrubbie with a wet towel and scrub off the grill. Not sure if they put anything in the water. I have never tried it but have thought I might. I prefer to use grill screens with oil rather than grill bricks. I think they get the grill cleaner and they don't make you stink like those nasty grill bricks! Either way just takes lots of muscles. Y

panduhJoined
Jun / 2006
panduh

Yep, thats what we do too. We just pour some water over the griddle while its still very hot and scrub it with this steel cloth thingee with a towel over it. Small hard rubs. Then we wipe it down and wipe on some vegetable oil. Every month or so we use the grill cleaner, but no more than once every 3 weeks. It scrapes off all that good non-stick seasoning. YVETTE wrote:A Japanese place I have been to uses water with a stainless steel scrubbie for a very fast clean up. They hold the scrubbie with a wet towel and scrub off the grill. Not sure if they put anything in the water. I have never tried it but have thought I might. I prefer to use grill screens with oil rather than grill bricks. I think they get the grill cleaner and they don't make you stink like those nasty grill bricks! Either way just takes lots of muscles. Y