Stricker
PGP Banner

Restaurant BizTalk

A forum for restaurant owners, managers, and other industry professionals.

5,935 Discussions and 46,496 Posts
browe Joined
Mar / 2009

Fountain drink ice makers

I'm working on opening a BBQ restuarant shortly and have a question about fountain drink dispensers.  At many places I see people filling up the ice dispensors with ice.  Do the machines furnished by Coke have ice makers built in so you don't need to dump ice into them?  Seems silly to continually dump ice into them.

Brandon94275Joined
Feb / 2003
Brandon94275

They furnish both. For accounts with lower soda sales volumes, they push the fountains without ice makers. They're cheaper for them to provide. Make it an issue up front to get a machine with an ice maker. Be prepared to go to Pepsi too. If the Coke or Pepsi distributor feels you aren't willing to go to the other, they'll know they're in a better negotiating position than you and you won't get everything you want.

broweJoined
Mar / 2009
browe

[quote=106473]

They furnish both. For accounts with lower soda sales volumes, they push the fountains without ice makers. They're cheaper for them to provide. Make it an issue up front to get a machine with an ice maker. Be prepared to go to Pepsi too. If the Coke or Pepsi distributor feels you aren't willing to go to the other, they'll know they're in a better negotiating position than you and you won't get everything you want.

[/quote]

Pepsi is not even a consideration for me.  Too much Coke stock near us not to mention everyone I know drinks Coke products.  Coke is basically quoting me $.01 per ounce right now.  They have also told me they do not charge for equipment if I buy product from them.

kaffeenjunkieJoined
Feb / 2002
kaffeenjunkie

And your point is? IME People who drink coke will drink pepsi if that is what is offered and vice versa.

broweJoined
Mar / 2009
browe

[quote=106481]

And your point is? IME People who drink coke will drink pepsi if that is what is offered and vice versa.

[/quote]

Nice welcoming constructive reply.  I didn't mention anything in my orignal post about Pepsi so I'd appreciate it if this discussion didn't turn into a Coke vs Pepsi debate.  Not all decisions are financially driven and you cannot assume people who drink coke drink pepsi.  I can tell you with 100% certainty that is not the case in the south where there is a strong allegiance to Coke.  If Pepsi was 50 cents cheaper per cup, I still wouldn't use it as I'd be insulting consumers in my community who have trust funds with millions of dollars of Coke stock.  In our community, for the most part the only people who serve Pepsi are the chains, people who are not from here or people who assume anyone who drinks Coke will drink Pepsi.