Stricker
PGP Banner

Restaurant BizTalk

A forum for restaurant owners, managers, and other industry professionals.

5,935 Discussions and 46,496 Posts
Forum Member Joined
Jun / 2016

Sysco or U.S. Foods ?

I would like to have opinions on who is better to use and why: Sysco or U.S. Foods

Forum MemberJoined
Jun / 2016
Forum Member

US Foods is definately better, at least in the souteast. Sysco is over priced and has poor quality on everything I have ever bought from them except of course Major Gray's Mango Chutney, can't ever go wrong there.

Forum MemberJoined
Jun / 2016
Forum Member

I guess it all depends on what type of Contract you have I like Sysco because My Rep was great if I ran out of asomething or needed something in a rush He would simply toss it in his car and bring it personally over to me As far as Pricing was concerned We got incredible deep discounts usually 15% off their sale Prices I guess when you spend over 5 Million a year with a supplier they give you preferential treatment Ciao Murray

Forum MemberJoined
Jun / 2016
Forum Member

Yeah I guess locking in on a contract with US was good too since Sysco didn't want to handle our big accounts. I have always had attitude problems from Sysco salespeople but i guess everyone is different

Forum MemberJoined
Jun / 2016
Forum Member

Hi Rosario, Welcome to the forum. I won't give you a clear answer because only you know what you want/need/like. I'm in NY and both my Sysco and US reps are both great guys and have bent over backwards for me on a number of occasions. They have different products, some of which are exclusive to each company, and those products which they share, it's a coin toss. Some items are more expensive, some are less. What I like about US is their extensive equipment catalog. While the prices aren't bargain basement, they aren't outrageous either. What I like about Sysco is that they buy small, local, quality producers and keep on the owners as management to ensure the same good qualities. Where I'm at, Sysco bought an herb farm that has really great herbs. The herb farm still sells to the public and to restaurants, but I get them cheaper through Sysco. According to my sales rep, Sysco has done the same with a lot of other products. The biggest problem I have with both companies is quasi-specialty products. Things that I think are pretty mundane, like black sesame seeds, have to be mailed to me. So I have a specialty provider for things like that. If you are large enough to get locked in prices, you can pretty much expect the customer service to just disappear, trading very good prices for pretty poor customer service. If prices are a really big issue, and your place is big enough to use both companies, why not do that? You can get computer software for placing orders on the internet from both companies and you can get daily price updates for comparison shopping. According to both sales reps, every "house" is different with what products they carry and the prices they charge. So my "house" here in upstate NY could be very different from the "house" serving NYC. Are there any other options for you? Maybe a smaller, independent broad line distributor? What's your opinion about those 2 companies? Hope this helps. Ciao for now,