Stricker
PGP Banner

Food Safety

A forum to discuss food safety issues in foodservice

327 Discussions and 1,390 Posts
Forum Member Joined
Jun / 2016

Dead Lobsters??

Anyone out there have information regarding cooking lobsters that have died? Is it safe to eat a lobster if it has died before the big boil?

I recently refused to serve a lobster as I knew that it had been dead for at least 24 hours. I was severely reprimanded and got into an arguement with the prep cook. I asked him if the lobster I was serving was dead before boiling. He was very angry with me and told me to mind my own business. You see I brought a "live" one from the tank into the kitchen only to be told "that's alright I have a one pounder here". i knew that one pounder was the one in his cooler that had died the previous night.

Anyone have 100% information on this? Thanx

Forum MemberJoined
Jun / 2016
Forum Member

As long as the Lobster has been kept cold, like under 40 degrees, then theoretically it is safe for consumption for 24 hours. After cooking it you should examine the tail meat. If it is not firm and uniform in color and texture then cook a new one. If it's firm and proper in looks then it's safe. If the Lobster died out at room temp then I would cook it right away and use it for a salad or bisque or amuse buche. So without being there when the Lobster deceased I think you did the safest thing. Lates, Jon

Forum MemberJoined
Jun / 2016
Forum Member

For years and years, lobstermen have said: if it's dead - don't eat it. You make the choice if you disagree.

Forum MemberJoined
Jun / 2016
Forum Member

Momma always always said "Life is like a box od chocolate, you never know what you're gonna get" Jon

Forum MemberJoined
Jun / 2016
Forum Member

Would you want your mother to eat a dead lobster? or a dead mussel?...there is a chemical breakdown in shell fish that becomes toxic when they die.