Stricker
PGP Banner

Restaurant BizTalk

A forum for restaurant owners, managers, and other industry professionals.

5,935 Discussions and 46,496 Posts
Scott B Joined
May / 2016

Do you use a social media consultant /agency?

Hello,  I'm new to this site & an independent social media consultant. I've been the Community Manager for small businesses (>30 employees) since 2010.  I'm renegotiating my arrangement with a client that I've been working with for 3 years. Put simply, I've been averaging $4.65/hr for them ($650/mo). It wasn't bad because I also held a full-time day job that paid me quite well. However, I recently left that job after 11 years to dedicate all of my time to social media. The establishments revenue has increased tremendously the past 3 years along with me garnering them over 1k fans/followers /<3k Facebook fans. I averaged 4-6 hrs/day, 7day/wk for them. Now,  I'm asking for $15/hr (market rate)  for 6-8hrs/day, 7days/wk because they need to step their marketing do to a fiercely competitive local market.  They tell me that they can't do it because that would be paying me almost as much as the GM & more than the Chef.  We will work something out because I love the establishment, staff & community but I'm curious to see if anyone else uses someone like myself to market your business? & if so, what do you think is a fair value for someone providing these services? 

T_P_HJoined
May / 2012
T_P_H

I couldn't even fathom paying someone $15 an hour 42-56 hours a week to "manage my social media".

Social media isn't rocket science and it's value is grossly overstated.

OccasionalChefJoined
Dec / 2015
OccasionalChef

I'd take whatever they're paying you and wear a mask and hold my breath if I were you. A restaurant that simply answers questions on their FB page will get that many followers simply by existing, so the idea that you need to hire someone to make a couple of posts a day is folly.

Remember that a "social media consultant" is someone who know more than you about it. Twitter is almost a total waste of time (because most people on facebook are producers and not consumers), but facebook and your web site is important.

Have an employee or manager do facebook. Answer questions and engage.  Keep your hours up to date and put up a current menu. Likes will come over time if you have your hostess do it or if you pay someone.

Jamesgang50Joined
Aug / 2016
Jamesgang50

They keep trying to sell me yelp ads but i dont see an increase from social media at all. 

Thai Blossom BistroJoined
Aug / 2016
Thai Blossom Bistro

Social media is a top ten that I will cut it off from my annual budget. Why would I pay someone to do something that some of my employee wouldl do it for me for FREE?